1 Star Anti-Snap Door Cylinder – 73mm / 45mm – Euro Profile
This extra long cylinder is used in modern eco and passiv doors. These doors have a much thicker sash and frame (over 100mm) compared to standard uPVC or composite doors, and as such regular sized cylinders won’t fit.Extra long cylinders can be found in passiv uPVC, composite, timber and alu-clad doors from many manufacturers including Munster Joinery.
Cylinder “snapping” is becoming a common method of infiltration by burglars. The standard euro profile cylinder has a weakness at the centre of the cylinder, and burglars are exploiting this weakness. Using common hand tools the cylinder can be manipulated, causing it to snap at the weak point. This leaves the inner workings of the door lock exposed and can then be easily unlocked and opened. All done in less than a minute. This is a very common method in the UK, and it is becoming more and more common in Ireland, especially in Dublin. To combat this method of attack, the anti-snap cylinder was introduced.
The 1 star anti-snap door cylinder has been tested to British Standard BS EN 1303:2005 and TS007:2012. This means the cylinder has been through rigorous testing. It is designed as a replacement cylinder to upgrade your security against the different forms of attack a burglar would use.
1 Star Anti-Snap Door Cylinder Features:
- Size – 73mm Key / 45mm Key (118mm overall length)
- Kitemarked – British Standard KM 585549 & TS 007:2012 1 Star
- Anti-Snap – Each cylinder has a sacrificial cut at the 3rd pin. If there is an attempt at snapping the cylinder, it will snap at this point rather than at the common weak point
- Anti-Pick – Each cylinder feature special anti-pick pins to protect against picking
- Anti-Drill – This cylinder features reinforced steel pins and a plate before the key way to combat drilling
- Anti-Bump – This cylinder feature special anti-bump pins to protect against lock picking using a bump key.
- 6 Pins – This cylinder feature 6 pins rather than a standard 5 pins
- Standard key shape – no problem getting spare keys cut. Other high security cylinders come with dimple keys which are difficult to get spare keys cut
- 3 keys & 1 fixing screw come supplied with each cylinder
- Nickle finish
IMPORTANT NOTE: Having an anti-snap cylinder installed in your door is not a guarantee that your door will be burglar proof.
Measuring the correct size cylinder:
1) Remove the screw holding the cylinder. This screw is found at the edge of the door, on the face plate of the lock.
2) Loosen slightly the screws holding the door handles.
3) Insert to key into the cylinder (if you already have a thumb turn installed – turn the knob and gently pull) Turn the key and pull gently. The cylinder will slide out when it is at the correct position. This key position will usually be 10 o clock or 2 o clock
With the cylinder removed from the door lock you can measure the from the edge of each side to the centre fixing hole.
Click on the “Fitting Instructions” tab on the left of the page for full fitting instructions.
Click on the “Instructional Video” tab on the left of the page for our video guide on how to replace the cylinder in your door, and how to measure the correct size cylinder to suit your door.
This size cylinder (73mm / 45mm) is also available a thumb-turn version. Click here for the 73mm Key / 45mm Thumb cylinder